Re: CBC-MAC instead of a CRC for non-malicious error detection

ecco <Corndorf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For the purposes of non-malicious error-detection coding, is a 32-bit
CBC-MAC--based tag better than a traditional 32-bit CRC
(where by better, I mean that more errors can be detected)?

When you do channel coding instead of cryptography you can even correct
errors.

Let us assume that
the the noise process on the communications channel is binary IID
(independent and identically distributed).

This is the binary symmetric channel, something very well understood in
channel coding.

Have a look at linear block codes, for instance. I'm sure you will find
something appropriate for your needs.

regards

Alexander Bernauer
.