Re: why the encrypted msg is not transmitted over secure channel?

Mike Amling wrote:
That's fine in Canetti & Krawczyk's context of insecure networks. I
had thought the OP's use was a little more general. There are other ways
of obtaining confidentiality than encryption. Key distribution by
courier, for example, may meet requirements for confidentiality and
authentication, with neither the courier nor her opaque briefcase nor
its contents being encrypted.

Oh. You're absolutely right. I had misunderstood your point.
I was sloppy. What I should have said is that the meaning of the
term "secure channel" that I'm familiar with requires both integrity
and confidentiality protection. (I got sloppy and conflated encryption
with confidentiality, though of course as you say there are other ways
to protect confidentiality other than encryption.)

Anyway, if the channel is only authenticated but has no confidentiality
protection, then I wouldn't call it a "secure channel"; I'd call it an
"authenticated channel".

  • Re: Encryption and Data Retention
    ... the level of confidentiality of the data will very much influence the ... Any moving of the data should be preceded by an encryption, ... When a real disaster happens (which luckily ... Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Basic question about RSA
    ... become more value laden such that encryption is used to ... Same process, different intent. ... confidentiality is often a little different (or even a lot ... Then devise an enhancement and repeat the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Data Encryption on TurboImage/MPE
    ... First you need to know what the confidentiality parameters of the data ... What is the cost of loss of confidentiality? ... How do you secure the encryption keys from unauthorized access? ... How do you recover? ...
    (comp.sys.hp.mpe)
  • RE: Hard drive encryption in windows
    ... check out SafeGuard Easy from Utimaco. ... hard disk encryption and also encrypts removable devices and floppies. ... I am looking for a solution to encrypt the hard drives which contain ... CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for ...
    (Security-Basics)