Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status

"David Wagner" <daw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Once you understand this context, maybe it makes it easier to understand
why people were prepared to believe that influential elements of the
NSA may have later regretted allowing DES to become a public standard.

Yes, it is possible that some NSA people thought that, but the
same reasoning might lead you to believe that SHA-1 and AES
were mistakes. Do you want to put that in the encyclopedia also?

You have your goofy NSA conspiracy theories, and I have mine.
I say: Drop the speculation, and stick to the facts where we all
agree. Eg:

IBM had unpublished info about possible attacks, and used that
to make the S-boxes stronger. (But we are not sure exactly
what IBM knew.)
IBM got help from NSA. (But the details are not known.)
IBM's influence shortened the key length to 56 bits. (But we
don't know exactly why.)
NBS made DES an open standard. (We don't know NSA's
opinion, either then or now.)

  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... NSA has characterized DES as one of their biggest ... If NSA had always before used to force their algorithms into silicon ... chips with special "coating", that would clearly tell that NSA did not ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... a mistake. ... The introduction of DES is considered to have been a catalyst for the ... NSA has characterized DES as one of their biggest ... Certainly the unkeyed Initial Permutation and Final Permutation make no sense for security or for software, but IIRC, it allows hardware registers to be filled in parallel (or something. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... So DES was a mistake because it was followed by research? ... Or because the NSA was not able to predict the future very well? ... NBS standardization process and the algorithm ended up being ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... The controversy over DES eventually subsided, but in late 1985 NSA ... then isn't it a consequence of the reduced key ... of its major elements except the criteria for S-box design have been ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... the explosion of academic research into crypto that followed the DES ... publication, as described in both the quote itself and in the NIST ... Or because the NSA was not able to predict the future very well? ... of DES lead to an explosion of published public sector crypto research. ...
    (sci.crypt)