Re: Galileo codes cracked (Security by obscurity fails again)

Jan Panteltje wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/12/galileo_codes_cracked/

<quote>
"We were told that cracking the encryption of creative content, like
music or a movie, is illegal, but the encryption used by a navigation signal
is fair game,"
</quote>

BTW Galileo is the European 'GPS'.

So the term "Galileo" is polysemous?

  • Galileo codes cracked (Security by obscurity fails again)
    ... "We were told that cracking the encryption of creative content, ... music or a movie, is illegal, but the encryption used by a navigation signal ... BTW Galileo is the European 'GPS'. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Problems with Async reader example
    ... I now have adjusted all my reading to an 8 byte boundary. ... I tested it with an unencrypted movie and it works. ... One thought is to ask if the encryption uses a mask for the position in the ...
  • Re: Infinite One-Time Pad, is this product BS?
    ... Cracking software means patching it to circumvent whatever technology it ... Cracking an encryption system means finding a way to get plaintext from ... Cryptanalysis isn't programming, it's mathematics. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Infinite One-Time Pad, is this product BS?
    ... Cracking software means patching it to circumvent whatever technology it ... Cracking an encryption system means finding a way to get plaintext from ... Cryptanalysis isn't programming, it's mathematics. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Digital cinema specification released.
    ... ie stolen and realsed b4 the movie almost. ... Anyways the digital projector could be hacked, and you only need one bad ... > stored for digital cinema. ... > Anyways, transmission to the cinemas will be via satellite, the encryption ...
    (sci.crypt)