ECC point compression trick

Think about what mm said ... why can't we just always use one of the
roots?

e.g. you have

y == +/- sqrt(x^3 - 3x + b)

Why not always just use the positive root [adjusting your secret
multiplier as required since (-k)P == k(-P)].

You still have to compute the root to find y but now you don't even
send the one bit. You just send x.

This halves the key space but I don't see how that causes any practical
problems. You're still going to have to cycle find it.

Tom

  • Re: complex numbers
    ... >> sqrt is the positive root of a positive number. ... The correct definition is: ... about what a square root is that have been going on here, ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: complex numbers
    ... > In sci.physics.relativity, Dirk Van de moortel ... >> sqrt is the positive root of a positive number. ... > It may depend on the language and the environment. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: ECC point compression trick
    ... Why not always just use the positive root [adjusting your secret ... May I suggest that read a text on Finite Fields? ... Please tell me which one is the postive root and which one is the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: roots of a characteristic equation
    ... I am trying to find the residue at the nth positive root of the ... gets closer and closer to the left side of the interval. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: ECC point compression trick
    ... The negative root would be the one you find by negating the other root ... (But typical Tom reply) ... define the positive root as the one that is less than p/2. ...
    (sci.crypt)