Re: ECC point compression trick

Tom St Denis wrote:
Think about what mm said ... why can't we just always use one of the
roots?

e.g. you have

y == +/- sqrt(x^3 - 3x + b)

Why not always just use the positive root [adjusting your secret
multiplier as required since (-k)P == k(-P)].

May I suggest that read a text on Finite Fields?
The one by Lidl & Neiderreiter is superb.

You are working in a (multiplicative sub-group of a) finite field.

There is no canonical way to order elements so as to
distinguish "positive" from "negative".

The square roots of 2 mod 7 are 3 and 4.

Please tell me which one is the postive root and which one is the
negative? If you always want to (say) always select the one with
larger norm and declare it as 'positive', tell us how to do this over
an extension field and not just in the ground field.

  • Re: algebra with finite field and isomorphic.
    ... Let F and F' be two finite fields of the order p^n. ... F = Z_pis a algebraic extension and simple extension. ... You have already said that f= 0, so b is a root of f. ... F contain Z_p as a subfield. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Irreducible cubic polynomial in char 2
    ... I know that F is irreducible, and I would like to find a root in a ... degree 3 extension of \F_q. ... I'm looking at Bill Allombert "Explicit Computation of Isomorphisms ... Between Finite Fields", Finite Fields, 8, 2002, 332-342. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: algebra with finite field and isomorphic.
    ... Let F and F' be two finite fields of the order p^n. ... F = Z_pis a algebraic extension and simple extension. ... You have already said that f= 0, so b is a root of f. ... F contain Z_p as a subfield. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Galois Field
    ... The Galois group of the ... All the extensions of finite fields have ... that every finite extension of a finite field is a Galois extension ... That means that when you adjoin one root, ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: complex numbers
    ... >> sqrt is the positive root of a positive number. ... The correct definition is: ... about what a square root is that have been going on here, ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)