Re: Pick a pin

"Hakvinius" <hakvinius@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:FZ6lg.5303$E02.1791@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When picking a 4 digit pin for your ATM, what are the guidelines to pick a
"safe" number and which numbers to avoid?

For a PIN you pretty much just have to avoid the earliest guesses;
sequential numbers, repeated numbers. The reason for this is when someone
steals your card they should only have 3 guesses, so they will check the
statistically more probably ones. If someone steals a huge number of bank
cards then they'll use the same technique. The truth is that no thief is
likely to try your birthday (they won't know it), or the year you were born,
or your anniversary, or anything else. It is better to choose a somewhat
random value you can remember, so 1202 is a perfectly good pin for me
(although it is not the one I use), even though it is my fathers birthday,
simply because it would be further than 3 down the list.

This is not to say places won't mess up. I know from one particularly
braindead day that the grocery store by my place doesn't care if I take 4
attempts, and that my bank doesn't lock it from that.

If you want maximum safety tell your bank to not accept it's use at any
location other than one of your bank's ATMs. Won't make your life all that
easy, but that's the limits of the technology.
Joe

  • Re: Passwords et al.
    ... Unbreakable encryption does you no good if you can't ... Bank uses my ?Skew Line Encryption? ... The Bank and the customer both keep this unique PIN ... be bribed for a copy of the database). ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Skimmers again.
    ... Money has been taken from the victims bank accounts by ... to the bank to change her PIN code and guess what? ... them taking money from your account if your card has been skimmed". ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Passwords et al.
    ... Unbreakable encryption does you no good if you can't ... Bank uses my ?Skew Line Encryption? ... The Bank and the customer both keep this unique PIN ... be bribed for a copy of the database). ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Rashid Said Khalili will overnight exceed Estefana
    ... If you'll avoid Moustapha's bank with assertions, ... greatly travel the weekend. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: HELP, Vulnerability in Debit PIN Encryption security, possibly
    ... While there are numerous reports of academia breaking ... > Show us a link in the REAL WORLD where a PIN number has been stolen by ... > breaking the PIN entry encryption. ... hardware security modules which potentially enables a dishonest bank ...
    (sci.crypt)