Re: Prosecutor cannot compel disclosure of encryption keys?

Pubkeybreaker wrote:
(1) Keys? What keys? Those files just hold random numbers.
I use them in my research.
[...]
If I choose to pursue option (1), how can the government prove
otherwise?
They can't.

Gee, I don't know. I wouldn't count on it, personally.

First the prosecutor tells the jury how his forensic investigators
found a file "foo.asc", which has a PGP file format in it, on your
machine.
Then the prosecutors explains how they recovered audit logs showing
that you ran "gpg foo.asc" three times over the past year, but you have
never run any other command that touched "foo.asc".
Finally the prosecutor points out just how "convenient" your story is.
Somewhere in the middle of there the judge and jury are likely decide
that your story has no credibility, and draw their own conclusions.

Remember, our courts are made up of people. Those people are called
upon to make judgements about the credibility of witnesses -- and they
certainly do not need "proof". Do not taunt the court judge. She will
not look kindly upon it.

  • Re: ot: how about that verdict?
    ... It's a crime. ... The jury decides you 'must have known' even though every other witness ... 'confessed' that to the prosecutor and that the prosecutor knew who ... I am aware that they came to a faulty verdict. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Trek in the News
    ... But to believe that a jury will follow the rule of law ... unrelated, yada yada yada. ... one in the eye of the prosecutor. ... to have picked up a pair of pants at a salvation army depot, ...
    (rec.bicycles.racing)
  • Re: Trek in the News
    ... But to believe that a jury will follow the rule of law ... unrelated, yada yada yada. ... one in the eye of the prosecutor. ... to have picked up a pair of pants at a salvation army depot, ...
    (rec.bicycles.racing)
  • Re: Jews in the news
    ... a state jury initially found Lemrick Nelson not ... In the Lipsh case, the charges could not even make it through the ... obtain if the prosecutor wants one. ... Two separate grand juries were not ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: ot: how about that verdict?
    ... The jury decides you 'must have known' even though every other witness ... 'confessed' that to the prosecutor and that the prosecutor knew who ... the 'leak' was and that no crime had been committed before he went ... into his grand jury 'investigation' to supposedly 'discover' what he ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)