Re: Why everyone uses envelopes but few encrypt emails?

"privacy concerned" <privacyconcerned@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I am always puzzled by the fact that everyone puts envelopes on their
personal letters but very few people encrypt emails, even though emails
are much less secure than postcards (they can be easily copied, stored,
searched, and analyzed).

It's really quite simple: the concept of cryptography as "envelope" is
flawed from the very beginning. The real reason people use envelopes is to
keep things together, and because they have a place for the address. Very
few people use envelopes because of security, in fact any postal mail that
requires security is _NOT_ sent through the drop in the mailbox method, it
is instead sent through at the very least hand delivery to the post office,
followed by receipt forms, etc. The entire concept behind this statement is
flawed beyond all usefulness.

Anyone wants to comment on the merits of this system and whether it
will succeed in persuading everybody to put an envelope on every
personal email?

It will fail. It will fail in large part because it fails by default with
web-based email (tested with Hotmail). It will fail because contrary to your
lunacy it does require installation of a program. It will fail because it is
useless, pointless, and fails to even suitably represent itself as the
claimed envelope. It fails in the very usability aspect that your lunacy
says it succeeds in. It fails completely, and I won't even get into the lack
of security.

Fell better now?
Joe

  • RE: Height of paranoia
    ... PC shutdown by 7pm, disabled the port, or firewall it. ... emails of other, unless the direction approves it" (patch it with a more ... "Everything that can fail, will fail. ... I am the security guy. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: multiple instance on Unix
    ... I had a program that was called randomly by specific emails arriving ... fail in an atomic piece of code. ... >> Nigel King ... >) have multiple Python processes and you want only one process to be ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Uncle Marvo and his bent door.
    ... I'm waiting for Mr Panel Beater to come and straighten the rest of it. ... You know I wasn't hiding, ... You haven't had half the emails I sent you, I suspect, like the two yesterday and the one where I didn't fail to tell you. ...
    (uk.rec.waterways)
  • Samsung S5600 Blade - email problem
    ... Help required - my daughter has purchased a Samsung Blade from Voda by ... With the above setting she cannot send or rx emails - she gets no fail ... correct and that all sould work OK ...
    (uk.telecom.mobile)
  • Re: To the Experts: Thoughts on TrueCrypt?
    ... TrueCrypt volumes too. ... security even when it does work. ... fail on them miserably, and most adults have. ... Your ability to devise "father" scenarios where you might ...
    (alt.privacy)