NIST and PRNGs ... er sorry DRBG

What's with NIST and the continual stream of garbage they put out?

SP 800-90 specifies random number generators ... oh sorry pseudo random
number generators ... no wait ... deterministic random bit generators!
Yes, let's not use any standard wording, that may be beneficial.

Then you look at it and they have Hash_DRBG and Cipher_DRBG and
HMAC_DRBG and EC_DRBG.... The design requires seeds be exact lengths
[seedlen] uses random constants, has two hash derive functions [hash_df
and hashgen] which do the same thing... arrg.

I get the point of the first two, but WTF is hmac_drbg for? Who wants
to use an HMAC? And what's up with the ECC stuff? Like I really want
to spend 100,000x more time per bit just so I can impress my math
prof...

Too bad the comment period is up... but I have to question how designs
like this actually get past the sanity checker. I mean John Kelsey is
someone I'd normally trust to make a good spec but this is awful.
bad!!!

Tom

  • Re: Open-Source SCPI / IEEE 488.2 Parser
    ... to explore comm protocol implementations. ... Actually, even among parser generators, ... to an entry-level DMM probably has very different design goals/criteria ... To all who are potentially interested in an open-source SCPI parser ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Tilted Ten Degrees
    ... Perhaps the builders were obliged to compromise an adequate design for ... The water disabled their deisel generators (whether damaging the ... but the plugs on those new generators did not fit the plugs ... at the power plant. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Tilted Ten Degrees
    ... adequate design for impossibly strict radiation containment limits in ... The water disabled their deisel generators (whether damaging the ... but the plugs on those new generators did not fit the plugs ... at the power plant. ...