Re: auto-deleting safe or encrypted folders?

Well why you think the police should have it, if it is was stolen?
Probably the suckers who stole it stupid enough to try extract
information before making copy. Specially if they think it is valuable
info and is in hurry.

tomstdenis@xxxxxxxxx skrev:

Liam wrote:
tomstde...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Liam wrote:
Is there something out there that would let you encrypt files or
folders, and unenc' them with one password but if you use a different
set password, it will instead destroy the data?
I'm thinking of something like Steganos Safe, but with a destroy data
option.
Freeware or retail, doesn't matter.

What's the point of the auto-delete? What if the file is on a CD or
god forbid I made a copy of it?

Well, ANY security can be made pointless by doing something stupid. =)
I can have the best house security in the world, but it'd be pointless
if I made the passcode 1234 or left the back door open.
The point of having a good tool is using it right.
If I had something that was important enough, and I'd want to be able
to quickly destroy if I need to, of course a copy wouldn't be made of
it.

Um ... I don't get it. I thought you said "if you use the wrong
password"... why would you want a 2nd password for wipe? Why not just
wipe the damn file?

If the idea is you're doing this at a police station ... THEY WILL HAVE
MADE A COPY OF THE FILE PRIOR TO YOU RUNNING IT.

Well still you won't find a [credible] program that offers this because
it offers meaningless security.

How so? If the only copy is in the encrypted file, and if it were to be
unencrypted without my will bad things would happen, then it's not
meaningless.

You must be new to computars. Welcome to the intarweb btw [that's by
the way for you new netizens].

Computars have this thing called a "copy" function which can copy
files.

A copy of a file would be a distinct entity not linked to the first.

The first being destroyed would mean a copy of the copy could be used
instead.

Hope you like your stay on the big wide intarweb!

Tom

  • Re: What are the little things that would give ETs amongst us away?
    ... joke or not. ... the security types don't know. ... So anyone actually saying something that stupid is ether ... the police, an hour or two of questioning, followed by release. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.science)
  • Re: What are the little things that would give ETs amongst us away?
    ... joke or not. ... the security types don't know. ... So anyone actually saying something that stupid is ether ... the police, an hour or two of questioning, followed by release. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.science)
  • Re: Carrying Cigars When Flying?
    ... The baggage gorillas have ... 50+stick humidor in my carry on packed with cigars, ... disease infested dry airplane air to destroy them. ... security evasion informally for about a decade. ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: Mortified.
    ... threatening weapon - even if you are in your kitchen cutting bread ... With this in mind just wave the object you wish destroyed at a yob ... and the police will take the object away and destroy it. ...
    (uk.rec.waterways)
  • Re: Man jailed over computer password refusal
    ... You can offer innocent explanations of your decision to destroy the key. ... marital or medical information about you or your clients on there and you didn't trust the police to protect it properly. ... at this point the RIPA notice does not exist and may never exist. ... admitted to deliberately destroying evidence). ...
    (uk.legal)