JSH: Ethics of a factoring solution

I am wondering if I should continue my search for a solution to the
factoring problem if every time I think I have one I beat myself up
about the ethics of it.

For one thing, I am not interested in implementing a solution, so if I
find one, my temptation is always to dump it out on Usenet, and let
other people play with it.

If I do that and I do find an easy solution, is that ethical?

Is it a defensible action?

Ok, so let us say that I decide to do my own implementation after
finding a solution, and factor an RSA number, can I then dump that
solution out immediately to silence critics?

But what if that causes an impact on the stock markets of the world?

Would I be responsible for the damage?

Remember, I would not give a damn about the RSA prize money. Breaking
the factoring problem would end the "crackpot" label, and bring my
other research front and center.

To me, the RSA challenge is just a means to an end for beating it, not
for the money which would be chump change as far as I am concerned.

I need ethics answers, where I doubt many of you will take this
seriously to give me exactly what I need, but, hey, I can ask the
questions anyway. Who knows? Maybe something might help.

Should I go back to the search for a factoring solution? Or give up on
it as ethically the wrong thing to do?

James Harris

  • Re: JSH: Ethics of a factoring solution
    ... When you post one of your solutions to the factoring problem there are ... Remember that I can find a solution to the RSA problem with a simple ... due warning and allowed time to change to a more secure method. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: JSH, when is this "Internet buzz" supposed to start?
    ... It would be cool to have a solution to the factoring problem (that is, ... faster than you can use that composite to encrypt with RSA. ... algorithm covering an arbitrary collection of variously connected ... Knowledge is power. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: JSH: Remarkably odd
    ... start from a prior knowledge of the factors of our target integer. ... I can show that an RSA ... You're coming up with arbitrary conditions which dodge the ... the factoring problem, it is the essence of the problem. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: JSH: Remarkably odd
    ... It's called the RSA Challenge. ... Ok, the game is cancelled, ... factoring problem. ... remarkable group effort, as if it matters. ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: JSH: Ethics of a factoring solution
    ... factoring problem if every time I think I have one I beat myself up ... about the ethics of it. ... find one, my temptation is always to dump it out on Usenet, and let ... the factoring problem would end the "crackpot" label, ...
    (sci.crypt)