Re: Compression and crypto

My complaint, again for clarity, is that while decompressions will lead
to strings with the correct alphabet [e.g. ASCII, binary, symbols of
your choosing] they won't follow a grammar [or even make sense].

For instance, you could map all random strings to decodable JPEGs but
will you also ensure the content of the JPEG makes sense and isn't just
white noise? Replace JPEG with a binary image [e.g. program] or text
document or HTML or PDF or ...I'll be able to tell the key was wrong by
checking if the decoded output makes any sense.

For what it's worth, I believe tomstdenis is absolutely correct here.
(He has made this point many times before, but somehow it doesn't seem
to have sunk in yet.)

  • Re: Compression and crypto
    ... to strings with the correct alphabet [e.g. ASCII, binary, symbols of ... you could map all random strings to decodable JPEGs but ... Replace JPEG with a binary image or text ... common view would be that I use the key to decrypt the cryptotext. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Image to Text
    ... I took the post to be a request for how to encode a JPEG into a String. ... Are we encoding a binary as a String, or are we extracting Strings from an image via OCR? ... I found that Jakarta Commons site in a matter of minutes when I needed a way to convert JPEGs to Strings (yecch) in a Java project a few weeks ago. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)