Re: Resources required to retrieved wiped disk

On Tue, 23 May 2006 01:18:14 GMT, Bryan Olson
<fakeaddress@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

clark wrote:
If I get the gist of your point made several times in this thread:

It is that current hard drives ,which actually have extremely high
data densities compared to drives even a few years ago, are no longer
good candidates for the kind of techniques which involve removing the
platters and examining them under "electronic microscopes" to discern
previous "writes" after the data has been "overwritten" even once.

That's my theory, so I'm trying to find evidence that would
refute it.

Did anyone demo recovery of over-written data from hard drives
of a decade ago? Two decades? What's the most recent anyone
can actually cite?

I know of no actual physical recovery. It may be folklore now.

The paper that I read on this is frrom Peter Gutmann and is 10 years
old. Here's a link:

https://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec96/full_papers/gutmann/

I think this is the one everyone cites, or at least one of the main
papers.

But the actual activity he is talking about may be from the 1980's and
the difference in platter densities, drive electronics and mechanics
between then and today is huge.

I know a bit about this.

In the early 80's completely different. In my tool rig, I carried an
oscilloscope to get "index to data" and "cat's eye" and the calibrated
torque head wrenches for Western Dynex, Perkin Elmer and other drives.

When a drive crashed, I removed and replaced the fixed platter and or
the read/write heads, which were ceramic and embedded with the
instrumentation and floated on very lightweight spring steel pieces.

I think you may be right and this may technical lore now.

But if I find anything, I'll post it.

  • Re: HDD Compatibility
    ... and new larger drives appear in the ... BIOS Upgrades ... available expansion slot and then connecting your hard drives to it. ... than having to connect them to the controller card itself. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Securely erasing data from hard drive
    ... Formatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, ... Any software approved by DoD for disk sanitizing will work. ... "Disposition of DoD Unclassified Computer Hard Drives", Linton Wells II, June 1, 2001 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Origin of hard drive parameters
    ... origin of the hard drives parameters i.e. geometry, ... that CHS,> as you say, is arbitrary when referring to modern drives. ... disk is stored on the disk. ... and Inquiry commands you are accessing data stored on the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Service Pack 2?
    ... This program will allow you to make an image of your partition, any partition, ... But hard drives are ... distance between the read head and the platter on hard drives is significantly ... And if the head touches the platter: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: HDFMTPH versions for Atari 8-bit hard drives
    ... These notes cannot/do not replace the MIO owner's manual. ... The MIO can only use hard drives with 256 byte sectors. ... The RLL Adaptec controller is the ACB-4070. ...
    (comp.sys.atari.8bit)