Re: NSA and crypto

"Ed Weir \(ComCast\)" <Anon@xxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:AbGdnZOo37HLE_PZRVn-qg@xxxxxxxxxxx:

{snipped]

So, David - where are your test results? I really would like to see
them.

-- Ed.

My crystal ball is still in the shop after I tried to use it to see
when it would get out. Now it can only see backward in time...

If I thought it would help I would show some to you but I don't think
you really care. The tests are very simple for many files all I did
was to run a compression then a decompression to see if file matches.
I then take the test file and do a decompression first followed by
a compression to see it it gets back to the same file.

The first tests for something like arb255 was every one byte file
as a starting file then files with lots of zeros or ones then common
test files. And then other files that have come up know and then.

Many of the tests where run with varible register sizes. I use for default
the full 64 bit state registers why use 32 or less. I also changed size
with a mask to see the change with less then 64 bits you can change with
very little mods to code. IN every case this last verision of arb255
worked like I expected it to.

arb255 is made up of many seqments that where tested as I developed
it. For example the compressor actually only works with strings. So
many thousands of strings tested for the I/O byte to string conversions
that take place. There are many ways to bijective handle the space of
all byte files to strings. I ended up using what I call the stability
method of file I/O for the compression there is a porblem that a very
short file can decompress to a very large file if the file is all ones
or zeros. So I store the file a pusedo random way so that the string
of all ones or zeros does not cause a massive decompression. Oh the
massive decompression is still there it just that your more apt to
accidently try to decompress a file of all zeroes or ones or some
other highly structured file then the files that would casue massive
decompression. To find such a file for the decompression porblem
Just take any repeated string of any byte. Make millions of bytes
long. These will compress to a very short file where some bits in
the compressed file can stand for thousands of bits in the decompressed
file. But to the eyes the compressed file will still look random.
And with only a few bits changed in the front of file it will
decompress to a totally different file much shorter in length.
airthmetic compression is really neat.

Look many get confuesed I am saying the code works on all files
you can think of them either as compressed or uncompressed. And like
any other general file compressor. Most files in the space of all
files are random and that in general compressing random files actully
makes them longer. Bijective compression or decompression is nothing
more than rearangeing files with the hope that highly useful redunant
files get susituted with shorter files. I am not going to violate
the counting therom so please don't go there.

David A. Scott
--
My Crypto code
http://bijective.dogma.net/crypto/scott19u.zip

  • Re: Is this how MDCT works?
    ... GZIP after a simplistic predictor is simply not a good idea. ... yes, other Huffman-based options are also possible here, but don't tend to offer any particular advantages over deflate (WRT either speed or compression ratio). ... things like range-coding and more involved statistical modeling, although possible and can improve compression, tend to do so at a severe cost to decompression speeds, which may adversely effect other parts of an application. ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: NSA and crypto
    ... David - where are your test results? ... | was to run a compression then a decompression to see if file matches. ... For example the compressor actually only works with strings. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • better/faster kernel tarball compression
    ... I'd like to recommend two programs to compress the tarball. ... The lzip program -- being the natural choice for decompression -- is very widely available ... I figure Linus couldn't care less if compression suddenly started to take eg. four times as long for him. ... User time: 130.82 ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [RFC] LZO de/compression support - take 6
    ... Compression: 42.4646 usec ... Decompression: 42.4646 usec ... early finish compressed data buffer to less than the full size ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Compression identical to its inverse?
    ... Show a compression algorithm that is *identical* ... to its corresponding decompression algorithm. ... the final bit-coding stage in a compression system). ... Well since every file has a bijective mapping to all strings ...
    (comp.compression)