Re: Patent Portfolio Offer

noload wrote:
You're trying your best to twist what I said into something that I
didn't, and it's not going to work.

You asked me for private documentation so that I could prove to you my
salary. How am I twisting that?

I'm free to state my opinion of something anyone says, anywhere and anytime.

Actually, no you're not. I suggest you read up on libel law whether
you live. Chances are there are well set restrictions on what you can
say without breaching the law.

I believe you're not being truthful about your income.

That's good, but without proof you can't cause me to have contempt from
others.

I suggest, for instance, you read
[http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/text.html] and then search for
section 298 and on. Libel is actually a criminal offence not civil [I
was mistaken].

I quote...

---
298. (1) A defamatory libel is matter published, without lawful
justification or excuse, that is likely to injure the reputation of any
person by exposing him to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or that is
designed to insult the person of or concerning whom it is published.
---

You should read the rest of the libel/slander laws.

That's my opinion, and it's perfectly legal for me to express that opinion.

That's just it. It isn't because you don't have facts to back it up.
That's what makes it illegal.

If you don't believe me, try to prosecute me and see.

I won't because it's not worth the trouble. My point is if you try
this punk bullshit with the wrong person you could find yourself in
trouble.

I could prosecute you for calling me a "punk" in public. But, I know you
were only expressing an opinion, right?

Calling someone a punk, who is breaking the law, is a not libel (see
section 308). I know you're breaking the law. Pointing that out by
calling you a punk [look up the definitions] when you are trying to
ridicule and libel people in public is legal.

I'm not trying to get all uppity. You're probably in the states and
even if I wanted to press charges the ADA would just ignore it anyways.
There are more important things for them to do.

My point of bringing this up is just to point out that, no, in fact,
you can't just go around and call people liars and ridicule them.

Tom

  • Re: Advice please for a newbie
    ... here's a new copy of the law for you ... GOOD NAME, MY REPUTATION, AND MY ABILITY TO EARN A LIVING WILL ... TWO OR MORE PEOPLE TO COMMIT LIBEL, SLANDER, PERJURY, OR OTHER ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: In the matter of Herb Schildt
    ... There's no such thing as "British libel law". ... It's more convenient for you to bully Herb than speak truth to vendor ... Common sense tells us not to use the variable above its declaration. ...
    (comp.lang.c.moderated)
  • Re: OT: Cartoon Jihad !
    ... Far be it for me to decry press freedom. ... let us know if they had any libel laws. ... However, note that the above is not a 'libel' law, at least not as the ... Publication of the cartoons is not libelous. ...
    (soc.culture.irish)
  • Re: A church supports a criminal stalker? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation)
    ... The crap you posted above has little to do with law in the US. ... and Slander. ... In law, defamation-also called calumny, libel, ... Related to defamation is public disclosure of private ...
    (misc.health.alternative)
  • Re: OT: Religious Hatred
    ... MUST be able to argue the case against there being ANY libel laws. ... What is the point of having a law if it is not to dissuade someone from ... It's a case of "my freedom to ... For example, if a newspaper accuses a politician of being a liar, as it ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)