Re: Searching for a special challenge&response algorithm

David Wagner schrieb:

Jan Peter Stotz wrote:
When a client connects to a server it has to authenticate itself against
the server. For preventing brute force attacks against this authentication
(systematic testing) with one client the server creates a challenge which
has to be solved by the client. For solving the challenge the client needs
a bit of CPU power which results in a delay of about a second. The server
only allows an authentication by the client after successfully solving the
challenge.

You'll find a lot of work on the literature on this subject.
Some key words to aid you in your literature search: "client puzzles",
"hashcash", "proofs of work".

Thank you David, these are the keywords I were searching for.

Jan

  • [Full-disclosure] [GOATSE SECURITY] Clench: Goatses way to say "screw you" to certificate author
    ... Application layer authentication-inherent validation of public key ... Goatse Security’s new simple password-based authentication mechanism ... getting hundreds of thousands or millions of users to install a client ... client hashes locally and then sends the hash to the server. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: WCF security advice (and clarification) needed
    ... You, the client, resolve the foo.mycompany.com hostname within your ... TCP/IP) with that ticket as the security token. ... There are two parties participating in a security scenario, the server ... HTTP supports other authentication ...
  • Re: SSPI Kerberos for delegation
    ... We want the authentication to happen without providing credentials ... But SSPI while authenticating from the client to the server can do mutual ...
    (comp.protocols.kerberos)
  • Re: Aironet 1200/Radius Help Needed
    ... I just fired up a W2003 Advanced Server so that I can take ... >> IAS servers (do I need a separate certificate for the secondary IAS ... >> of authentication since it involves just installing the certificate on ... >between the AP and the client. ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.radius)
  • Re: Windows Authentication, Single sign on and Active Directory
    ... service proxy client fails to connect due to authentication failure and then ... Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming" ... The server is always in the domain. ...