Is there a SHA1PRNG standard?

The java.security.SecureRandom class can be used to get an instance of
SHA1PRNG. It appears that SecureRandom generates different values from
JDK 1.4.1 to 1.4.2. We have an implementation which is dependent on
the JDK 1.4.1 implementation of SecureRandom and would like to ensure
that future versions will also be compatible. Where can we get a copy
of the standard that was used for the 1.4.1 SecureRandom
implementation? We would like to write our own class to get a SHA1PRNG
instance using such a standard.

For example if we use a seed to initialize the SecureRandom class, we
would like to be able to reuse that seed to regenerate the same PRN to
recover the same plaintext for backward compatibility.

Thanks in advance...
-- Mark

  • Re: Is there a SHA1PRNG standard?
    ... It appears that SecureRandom generates different values from ... JDK 1.4.1 to 1.4.2. ... We would like to write our own class to get a SHA1PRNG ... That sounds like you want a hash behavior and not a PRNG behavior. ...
    (sci.crypt)