Re: Complex Theoretical One Way Hash Question

"Matthew Harrison" wrote > Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
2. Is it feasible ?

No, as it would allow to create a collision, violating the goal of a
cryptographic hash.

You must have misunderstood what I was asking ... I'm not asking for a
hash that creates the same result from two different images.

I'm looking at creating a one way hash as normal (with minimal
collisions), but ensuring that the resulting hash result is that of the
modified image.
<SNIP>

/delurk

Sorry, but isn't that the snake biting its own tail? You can't
put the hash code on the image canvas unless you calculate
it, and you can't calculate it unless you put it on the canvas
first...

Cheers,
ink

/lurk

  • Re: Two-stage hashing (pre-hash big integer -> hash-array-index)
    ... > hash value instead of the key to generate the probe sequence. ... avoid all hashes with same home index following same collision chain, ... are the same will follow exactly the same collision chain. ... computes what I call the pre-hash, the large unsigned integer, from the ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Panama hash collision question
    ... > No hash is literally collision free. ... We synchronize database systems by forming a checksum for each record ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: keys and counters
    ... how many times can the counter be incremented before there is a collision in the hash, that is what i am asking. ... A hash function operated in such a counter mode as you suggest does not have this property - if I can guess or discover the input to the first block then I will know all the other blocks. ... You might think that some attacks are unreasonable/infeasible but do you really know what is possible to the world's largest employer of mathematicians, who have had for many years the world's largest computer budget and unlimited access to 60 plus years of classified research or what is possible for any of the other multi-billion dollar "smaller" big brothers?. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Using hash to see if objects attributes have changed
    ... Storing the entire object instead of the hash is not likely to be *that* ... If all you care about is a flag that says whether the state has changed ... stateNow = hashlib.sha1)) ... across such a collision, leading to a bug that might cause loss of data. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Determining the encryption used
    ... impression that if a password verification system is checking passwords ... against a hash table, all you needed was a collision (as this would hash ... They involve generating two seperate hashes which have a collision. ... The collision attacks found can break the security of cryptographic ...
    (Pen-Test)