Re: The Blum-Blum-Shub generator and a guessable seed

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"Joseph Ashwood" <ashwood@xxxxxxx> writes:
I was, fortunately this implementation doesn't actually require more
than a few kb of entropy per day, only on the server, and even then
it only needs to be attacker-apparent entropy.

If entropy is only needed on the server, then what does the cost of
100k pieces of hardware on the clients have to do with anything? Why
can't you use an external entropy source on the server, even if it
costs a few bucks?

An earlier designed spec'd hardware for clients, no longer the case, took me
3 months to design around it, but finally managed well enough.

I was using my situation as an example (actually an amazingly common
example) of where hardware simply doesn't work monetarily. I certainly won't
say that _every_ situation should be done this way, there are plenty of
situations where security can't be done without client hardware, and for
those adding a hardware TRNG makes sense. But the OP design, never makes
sense, at least not at the level proposed.
Joe

  • Re: Configuring SQLServer for high volume transactions
    ... This is like asking what should be the design ... hardware later, and it will be rushed because it will be in response to ... I am confident that SQL Server will be able to handle as many users as your ... make an application that wouldn't scale well beyond 1 user even on the best ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Configuring SQLServer for high volume transactions
    ... This is like asking what should be the design ... hardware later, and it will be rushed because it will be in response to ... I am confident that SQL Server will be able to handle as many users as your ... make an application that wouldn't scale well beyond 1 user even on the best ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • RE: Database Design Problem
    ... I have been asked to design an Access database to ... A server can be standalone on a piece of hardware. ... A server can be a virtual server in a cluster. ...
  • Re: 2008 SBS no longer boots
    ... driver issue initially, the fact that it seems to happen randomly now ... weird with a hardware problem that consistently doesn't get through boot ... other customer, even a 2 week old one, the problem immediately returned. ... There was a time when a server was fired up with a specialized OS and had a battery of tests run against each component to purposefully stress it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Recommendation for 1000BASE-SX card?
    ... supported and drivers that aren't. ... on current versions of hardware. ... Cheapo crappy desktop gear, and expensive high quality ... into the high-end server market in a big way. ...
    (freebsd-questions)