Re: CTR and disk sector encryption

"Pawel Jakub Dawidek" <pjd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I have a few comments. First, I'd recommend moving the header data into
sectors of it's own, this maintains the size of each sector, something that
will help you a great deal in maintaining usability (just report the disk as
smaller and take the outer most sectors). Second, if you journal the disk so
that you dynamically reassign sectors, you can fairly easily write the
sector, write the header data, write the sector remapping, this fails safe
because if the remap data isn't written it will point to the old sector with
the old sector header. This has problems with fragmentation, but if you run
a background task that perform the disk ordering it shouldn't be too bad.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SortMerge avoids thrashing (was: Baileys "two pass" FFT algorithm question)
    ... of size that match the backing store to assure locality of reference. ... For RAM backed by disk, the key thing which takes the most time is ... you need to localize sector reads within that one ... Sweeps your RAM once when you load original data from disk. ...
  • Re: XP Pro Recovery Errors
    ... it turns out that the boot sector, sector 0, of my HDD failed to "read, write, or remove write-protection." ... Hard drives, when they have a problem with a sector, mark it as "pending". ... So if you do something to write to the disk, and write sector zero, ...
  • Re: FUD about CGD and GBDE
    ... > a sector that has been rewritten. ... zone, otherwise it would expose the remaining sectors is the zone. ... contents and regular data written to the disk by the user. ... > possible to determine this fairly quickly using traffic analysis. ...
  • Re: replacing directory with "last good" on Windows XP non-boot data harddisk
    ... When a physical sector of the disk is read by an ... application and a sector is ... then Windows logs Event ID 11." ... I downloaded, but not installed yet, SeaTools For Windows and ...
  • Re: Hard Drive Issues
    ... I'm assuming that particular sector on the drive is dying, ... Looks like you disk is on its way out, from the look of the above ... bsdlabel and newfs the new disk the way you want it. ... Ignore all the stuff above where it displays the partition information. ...