Re: The Blum-Blum-Shub generator and a guessable seed

Steven Jones <sjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
With this
information in hand, what can you say about the actual value of the 16
bits B_1?

It is obviously impossible to say, since it depends on the other
activity in the system. I also think it is fairly obvious that an
application programmer does not in general know enough about the
environment his program will be running in to say anything meaningful
about this. Also, an adversary attacking a specific instance of a
program _will_ know a lot more about the environment.

I can only repeat myself: If any entropy can be extracted from a
system timer, it is the operating system's job to extract that
entropy and make it accessible to the applications.

If you believe I am mistaken, feel free to argue.

--
Kristian Gjøsteen

  • Re: entropy and knowledge
    ... The trace over the environment does not lose any information ... regarding the algebra of observables corresponding to the system A. ... But this does not imply that the entropy of the subsystem ...
    (sci.physics.research)
  • profit
    ... i think the only way to make profit and secure economic advantage is to sell ... entropy appears to decrease. ... system + environment increases. ...
    (uk.politics.economics)
  • Re: Truly Random Numbers
    ... obtain a source of input entropy that is independent of any detectable ... Initial state of the real time clock is about all you've got. ... I don't know what the .NET environment is like for even accessing ... I know you said that Pseudo-random number ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: entropy and knowledge
    ... The trace over the environment does not lose any information ... regarding the algebra of observables corresponding to the system A. ... But this does not imply that the entropy of the subsystem ...
    (sci.physics.research)
  • Re: Entropy
    ... that open systems (chemically reacting systems that exchange matter and energy with the environment) can decrease entropy locally at the expense of increasing it in the environment. ... Living systems do in fact decrease their entropy by extracting useful energy from the environment. ...
    (sci.physics)