Re: The Blum-Blum-Shub generator and a guessable seed

Steven Jones <sjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
With this
information in hand, what can you say about the actual value of the 16
bits B_1?

It is obviously impossible to say, since it depends on the other
activity in the system. I also think it is fairly obvious that an
application programmer does not in general know enough about the
environment his program will be running in to say anything meaningful
about this. Also, an adversary attacking a specific instance of a
program _will_ know a lot more about the environment.

I can only repeat myself: If any entropy can be extracted from a
system timer, it is the operating system's job to extract that
entropy and make it accessible to the applications.

If you believe I am mistaken, feel free to argue.

Kristian Gjøsteen