Pls help me with Twofish CBC test vectors

Hi
I am trying to test an implementation of Twofish. I found some test
vectors by Bruce Schneier at:
http://www-08.nist.gov/encryption/aes/round1/testvals/twofish-vals.zip

This zip files contains several .txt files. Let's consider
ecb_ival.txt and cbc_e_m.txt.

1) ECB TEST THAT WORKS
From ecb_ival.txt :
KEY=00000000000000000000000000000000
PT=00000000000000000000000000000000
CT=9F589F5CF6122C32B6BFEC2F2AE8C35A

The test runs fine, I get the correct ciphertext. Everything seems ok
here.

* BUT *

2) CBC TEST THAT DOES NOT WORK
From cbc_e_m.txt:
KEY=00000000000000000000000000000000
IV=00000000000000000000000000000000
PT=00000000000000000000000000000000
CT=3CC3B181E1495D0495D652B66921DA0F

I don't get it : as I understand it, this is the first test in a
series of encryptions in CBC mode.

The key and plaintext are all zeros, i.e. the same as in the above ECB
test that works.
Given that
- the key and plaintext are the same as in the above ECB test
- the IV is all zeros
- an XOR with zero does nothing
Then shouldn't the expected ciphertext be also the same as in the
above ECB text ??

What am I missing? The file says this is a "Monte Carlo" test but I
don't see how that could have an impact?

Thanks
Fred

  • Re: Pls help me with Twofish CBC test vectors
    ... Chances are they're not running twofish once on the data. ... ECB TEST THAT WORKS ... The key and plaintext are all zeros, i.e. the same as in the above ECB ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Pls help me with Twofish CBC test vectors
    ... ECB TEST THAT WORKS ... The key and plaintext are all zeros, i.e. the same as in the above ECB ... The file says this is a "Monte Carlo" test but I ... result of applying an algorithm to an input block 10000 times rather ...
    (sci.crypt)