Re: Mac Server Hacked In Less Than 6 Hours

"Joseph Ashwood" <ashwood@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
| "Ed Weir (ComCast)" <Anon@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > Actually, the hacker worked only 30 minutes.
| > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060306-6321.html
| >
| > Now, I wonder why no one has defaced Microsoft.
|
| Basically because Microsoft has the budget to have hundreds of boxes
| running, and a well trained experienced staff that can (and I'm fairly
| certain does) take down a hacked box very, very quickly. Also there have
| been a number of timeframes where Microsoft has had to reboot their
servers
| every few minutes (<15 minutes) simply to keep the service up and running,
| that is not a large window of attack. Also Microsoft has the money to put
| into place a vast array of DDoS, firewall, filters, IDS, IPS, alphabet
soup,
| Cheerios, antivirus, and any other service necessary for protection. So
| basically it's the same reason that [insert name of
| government/religious/world leader] doesn't wear a bullet proof vest all
the
| time, you can't get close enough.
| Joe

Hi Joe - at last, some substantial (and relatively unbiased) reasoning. Put
another way: they are the mighty Oak, which has sustained the heavy winds
for so long that it can now withstand anything and make it look easy.
Couldn't we all learn from these folks how to secure computer
infrastructure? I mean, if I were tasked with establishing a secure
infrastructure I think I would want to use the most successful vendor
possible. NASA, JPL, NSA all use Windows systems (true, a host of others as
well for pure scalability reasons), trusting our family jewels to it.

  • Re: porting from C++Builder
    ... that's correct and there is a very strong reason for taking this ... the java was growing and, obviously, microsoft initially tried to ... that crowds of developers would rather stay and develop windows applications. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc)
  • Re: Microsoft wins against spammer
    ... >On topic - can you give me one good reason why the FTC in the States ... >should not fine Microsoft ALL of the money they have won from spammers, ... >spam problem as it exists now. ... Turning to the FTC, their jurisdiction is limited to the United States ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • RE: spyware included in windows security updates
    ... THE REASON THAT THIS HAPPENS IS BECAUSE THE MICROSOFT OUTLOOK EXPRESS WINDOWS ... RHINO is a fake licensing code that needs to GO AWAY. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Is that a joke ?
    ... This isn't the reason for .Net at all. ... Microsoft can save money in development and support of their development ... classic VB developers under the rug without paying any ... Safe from mem leaks, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • RE: spyware included in windows security updates
    ... THE REASON THAT THIS HAPPENS IS BECAUSE THE MICROSOFT OUTLOOK EXPRESS ... WINDOWS COLLABORATION TEAM HAS BEEN WORKING ON AN ALPH-PRELEASE WINFX ... Show your hidden FAKE soft devices they are under hidden devices ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)