REPOST: Re: High Bandwidth Mixing Cipher Chips

tomstdenis_at_gmail.com
Date: 10/28/05

Date: 28 Oct 2005 12:23:25 -0700

panteltje@yahoo.com wrote:

> > So I repeat that the design is not well suited for hardware
> > implementation.
> >
> > Tom
> Have you ever taken a cypher, written it in a HDL, programmed a FPGA
> and had it working?
> yes [ ]
> no [ ]
> dunno [ ]

I worked for a firm which developed crypto accelerators in Verilog.
While I'm not an EE myself I did spend quite a bit of time working with
them on the "making things fit" side. I helped develop parts of some
upcoming [bignum ALU] projects, I've listened to customers bitch and
whine over 5k gates, etc...

Put it this way, the average customer we had for networking wanted
>10Gbps with less than a half million gates doing GCM. So not just some half-ass broken cipher but a full AES and GF multiplier. Oh and it was full-duplex.

I'm also the author of the CS^2 block cipher [search iacr.org for it].
which is a fraction the size of this mixed-network stuff.

Lets throw some numbers out there shall we ...

>>From my Toorcon talk [these are public knowledge]. The Bignum ALU I
helped design at the firm could hit ~260K cycles at 200Mhz in less than
a million transistors for RSA-1024 decrypt operations. It was ~170K
gates. That's seven times more clock efficient than an AMD64 and
1/70th the size [thereabouts].

So when you say you have a 500K gate block cipher and I question it ...
it's for good reason. Gates aren't cheap and a professional would
realize that.

Tom

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: tomstdenis@gmail.com
Control: cancel <1130527405.635089.166070@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
Subject: Cancel "Re: High Bandwidth Mixing Cipher Chips"
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:51:36 GMT

Relevant Pages

  • REPOST: Re: High Bandwidth Mixing Cipher Chips
    ... >> So I repeat that the design is not well suited for hardware ... whine over 5k gates, etc... ... Tom ... Subject: Cancel "Re: High Bandwidth Mixing Cipher Chips" ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: High Bandwidth Mixing Cipher Chips
    ... >> So I repeat that the design is not well suited for hardware ... whine over 5k gates, etc... ... So when you say you have a 500K gate block cipher and I question it ... ... Tom ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: FPGA with 5V and PLCC package
    ... gates to implement a design for which you only get the specification. ... It's just a replacement for a prototyping board with many TTL gates. ... a schematic entry) for the Atmel FPGA's. ... I spend a significant portion of design time looking at the FIT reports, and I also frequently use multiple constructs, and pick the best one. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: FPGA with 5V and PLCC package
    ... Their job will be to design software and not hardware systems. ... _graphical representation_ is the only appropriate way to do low level ... examples as gates. ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: OT: Pretty cool search toolbar
    ... > Better get used to it, Tom. ... > Bill Gates' genius has been in marketing trailing-edge tech- ... Their squishing of Java was hilarious. ... >> and founder of Oracle, ...
    (rec.arts.poems)