REPOST: Re: help ragarding licensing keys

From: Joseph Ashwood (ashwood_at_msn.com)
Date: 10/24/05

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:41:22 GMT

<parwal.sandeep@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1130137405.267375.84770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> i have an algo to generate a random alphanumeric key ..
> i want to chk its randomness... so that no two keys are same and its
> not guessable.. is there any test or procedure for that

The good news is that such tests exist. There are a couple pieces of bad
news though. First, the test is performed by having a significant body of
cryptanalysts examine it for weaknesses and as such the test is expensive.
Second, the test doesn't say what you want it to say, it will only tell you
if there are any weaknesses known in the bahavior of your system, not
whether or not there are any weaknesses. The worst news of all is that it
appears to be a hard problem and there may not be any actual solution for
secure license keys (and some very good arguments saying that they do not
exist).
                    Joe

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: "Joseph Ashwood" <ashwood@msn.com>
Control: cancel <Ce07f.18355$6e1.2618@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>
Subject: Cancel "Re: help ragarding licensing keys"
Newsgroups: de.alt.test,sci.crypt
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:20:53 GMT

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: "Joseph Ashwood" <ashwood@msn.com>
Control: cancel <6$%$$-%%-__$_-%__$$@news.noc.cabal.int>
Subject: Cancel "REPOST: Re: help ragarding licensing keys"
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:51:19 GMT

Relevant Pages

  • REPOST: Re: help ragarding licensing keys
    ... > but my prob is that i made algo for generating alphanumeric key now.. ... For preventing collisions your keys should have at least 128 bits of information because of the birthday-attack, which gives you a probability of 2^for successfully finding a collision. ... Subject: Cancel "Re: help ragarding licensing keys" ... NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.121.22.24 ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • REPOST: Re: help ragarding licensing keys
    ... but my prob is that i made algo for generating alphanumeric key now.. ... i went thru some texts but those all are on numeric keys.. ... Subject: Cancel "Re: help ragarding licensing keys" ... NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.121.22.24 ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • REPOST: help ragarding licensing keys
    ... Cancel "help ragarding licensing keys" ... NNTP-Posting-Host: 82.34.186.178 ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • REPOST: Re: help ragarding licensing keys
    ... You do NOT check randomness by looking at the output. ... Note that if it were "random" two keys could be the same. ... Subject: Cancel "Re: help ragarding licensing keys" ... NNTP-Posting-Host: 64.121.22.24 ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: help ragarding licensing keys
    ... > i have an algo to generate a random alphanumeric key .. ... The good news is that such tests exist. ... cryptanalysts examine it for weaknesses and as such the test is expensive. ... secure license keys (and some very good arguments saying that they do not ...
    (sci.crypt)