PIN card

From: Mike Amling (nospam_at_nospam.com)
Date: 10/14/05

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:06:31 GMT

   Let's say we have an alphabet of d distinct symbols. What's the
smallest (area) rectangular array of such symbols such that every
n-symbol sequence of such symbols is present in the array somewhere if
we allow reading sequences in straight lines in any of the 8 directions
N, S, E, W, NW, NE, SW, SE?

   One application of such an array: Let d=10 (and the symbols be the
digits 0 through 9), and print such an array for n=4 onto a card. Then
every 4-digit PIN is present on the card somewhere and a user of an ATM
could, if she finds it easier, recall the location on the PIN card of
her PIN rather than the PIN itself. As long as the card remains
unmarked, the card gives no information about what the PIN is.

   In particular, I wish I had some however hazy recollection of the
location on such a PIN card of the 4-digit security code of a particular
cell phone I haven't used in a long time. Doh!

   2x2 is minimal for d=2, n=2.
   8x1 is sufficient, and I think minimal, for d=2, n=3.

--Mike Amling

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Passwords et al.
    ... The set of three integers above might well become the numbers on an ‘atm’ card say or indeed on any device that is used to control access to anything. ... ciphertext of a single alphanumeric item – lower case letter e – ... midnight say) by the bank or other that owns it. ... might be used as the user's PIN in each case. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: SDS PROM-100 software
    ... 2708 EPROM and to consistently read the content of another used 2708 ... card which worked great with Dave Dunfield's RAMless ROM monitor ... socket) with the IA 1010B the 2708 simulator has been a disaster. ... First the original IA 1010B used a weird and probably damaged 24 pin ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: HELP, Vulnerability in Debit PIN Encryption security, possibly
    ... > not the case where PIN encryption had to be ... > derived from the card number because the card PIN was checked at the ... It is unlikely that the banks should have been able to hide such ... Smartcard terminals are used in environments over which the ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Upgrade Recommendation - please
    ... I think may I want to invest in the Video Card. ... has enough PCI Express connectors, and connectors of the right type. ... For more info on 6 pin and 8 pin PCI Express power connectors, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: smart card versus credit card
    ... fraud must be low due to card fraud going unreported. ... >> me one good reason for wanting a PIN with a credit card? ...
    (sci.crypt)