Re: 31 bit pseudo-random number gen in C, C++ & dsPIC assembly code

From: Mike Amling (nospam_at_nospam.com)
Date: 10/08/05

Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 21:24:37 GMT

John E. Hadstate wrote:

>>It's not an unfortunate name collision, they're the same
>>thing (if possibly scaled differently). There's a Richard
>>Feynman book on the thermodynamics of computation that
>>explains this, and other concepts that seem really twisted
>>but really aren't after you think hard enough about them*.
>

> They can't be quite the same thing since thermodynamic
> entropy measures a property of physical systems while
> information theoretic entropy measures a property of
> something that is a figment of our imaginations (a useful
> figment, to be sure, but "bits" have no physical
> manifestation and are not constrained by the laws of
> physics).

   Claude Shannon didn't pick the term 'entropy' by coincidence.
Thermodynamic entropy and cryptographic entropy are both the same
function of the probabilities of a system being in each of its possible
states.

--Mike Amling

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Time. /My opinion./
    ... Henry Poincare named the conception of "entropy " ... entropy monotonous increasing law remains open ". ... in which he called " The energy conservation law" as ... " The first law of thermodynamics". ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Can thermodynamical model be fundamental: reason not result?
    ... fundamental theory describing evolution of everything there should be ... probabilities of scenarios required to define e.g. entropy. ... law of thermodynamics. ... For me the problem with quantum mechanics is that it’s between these ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics - Irrelevant to Origins
    ... in all of physics. ... during the development of thermodynamics. ... Sadie Carnot gave the Second Law quite correctly in 1824, ... `A Guide to Entropy and the Second Law,' by Elliot Lieb ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Turbulent transition for fluids
    ... state of low entropy on its own. ... We're used to thinking of systems in terms of pure thermodynamics (a ... reduces to the compression of information. ... the system has a computational complexity of zero (there is ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: I had an interesting argument this week...
    ... Shannon, for instance, defines ... connection between Shannon information and entropy based on the ... All of which has NOTHING to do with thermodynamics. ... the notion of microstates within statistical thermo. ...
    (talk.origins)