Re: My my, how time flies ...... it's been about "1 hour" -- anyone cracked CryptoSMS yet?

Crypto_at_S.M.S
Date: 08/28/05

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:29:35 +1000

Joe Peschel wrote:
> Crypto@S.M.S wrote in news:11h1o2d3o0bip64@news.supernews.com:

>>>If, you look closely, Jonez, you will see that in the material you
>>>cited above, Joe Ashwood did not say he could crack it "within the
>>>hour," even though Crypto@S.M.S., by his placing of quotation marks,
>>>pretended Ashwood said it.
>>>

>>In that case, what does he mean by "complete compromise"?
>

> You'd have to ask Ashwood. But I'd said he meant exactly what he wrote.
>
> My objection was to your inaccurate direct quoting of Ashwood. If you're
> going to use a direct quote, you better be sure he said exactly what you
> quote.

You are one who placed quotation marks. See above.

I posted the text of his claim that he can reverse MD5,
and I will do it again:

  "...MD5 will be enough to uniquely identify each of these,and MD5 can
      be effectively reversed under these circumstances in under 1 hour."

                          <dJ5ue.882$N22.328@newssvr21.n­ews.prodigy.com>

In a completely different article, he changes his position, referring to
how "my break" does not even use collisions:

   " My break didn't even actually use the MD5 attacks, instead it was
     based on generating and hashing each of the 2^47 different possible
     values until one collides."

                        <d1wue.1408$N22.1362@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>

http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.sources.crypto/msg/74844403e2377c3e?dmode=source&hl=en