Re: Hushmail: questionable file

From: Regis (nobody_at_thisaddress.com)
Date: 08/22/05

Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:48:06 -0400

On 21 Aug 2005 18:17:45 -0700, "dotnet123" <dotnet@nym.hush.com>
wrote:

> Any way to find out what could be in the file, i.e. decrypt it?

If you don't know how it was encrypted, it's next to impossible to try
and decrypt it.

> I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that an application automatically
> storing a passphrase in a file on your local drive is a bad idea, even
> it is encrypted...

You're assuming that your password is stored in the file.
That's a rather large assumption...and most likely incorrect anyway,
because there would be no purpose in storing your password in a
file...since you have to type it in when you log into the system.

Find out from Hush what they say regarding the purpose of that file.
I have more faith in them than to think they'd be so careless as to
store your password in a file on the hard drive. That would be
something you'd expect from some half-assed operation run by a kid out
of a basement....but not Hushmail.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Foreign Key constraint between 2 columns on 1 table
    ... What would be the purpose of storing the same data in two columns? ... (Reverse address to reply.) ... "Dean" wrote in message ...
  • Re: register a function to be called when an m file is cleared
    ... cleared, similar to mexAtExit for C, but did not succeed. ... or is there any alternative for similar purpose? ... Try storing an onCleanup object in a persistent variable in the function. ... Steve Lord ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: can i use mysql with sharepoint
    ... for sharepoint sites for this purpose i require database for storing ... datafor that can i use MS-Access. ...
  • Re: Encrypting Passwords
    ... decrypt all your friends password just by storing their A-password ... whenever they login or by storing their B-passwords before you encrypt ... from the original website. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: A question about encryption
    ... >use it can decrypt it. ... If the user's computer is storing the encrypted data, and decrypting it, ...
    (sci.crypt)