Re: Hardening MD5 with multiplications -- use MD5.1

From: Gregory G Rose (ggr_at_qualcomm.com)
Date: 08/20/05

Date: 20 Aug 2005 08:56:03 -0700

In article <de6q2b$5lj$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>,
Max Power <mikehack@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>If my memory serves me correctly there is a slightly modified version of MD5
>that was created simultaneously with MD5.
>This subversion (5.1 I call it) is only altered by a few parameters, but no
>substantial redesign.
>Anyway, using MD5.1 is always an option.

That's news to me, about the existence of this
other version. But even if there was, what makes
you think that Wang's attack won't work on it too?
I think it is almost certain that it will.

Greg.

--
Greg Rose
232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is MD5 outdated ?
    ... >which means that two guys are posting a binary with the same MD5. ... binaries, so at 1e6 binaries/day you should be ... Greg Rose ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Collision in SHA-0
    ... but I have not been able to reproduce this. ... >Any glaring mistakes? ... Cryptography's description of MD5, and got the ... Greg Rose ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: MD5CRK is now LIVE
    ... >I guess if you are able to find a collision in MD5 by assembling enough ... Greg Rose ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Crypto Mini-FAQ
    ... >Any informations about why that committee doesn't endorse ... thus avoid the users' having to consider many ... continued use of MD5. ... Greg Rose ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Hardening MD5 with multiplications -- use MD5.1
    ... If my memory serves me correctly there is a slightly modified version of MD5 ... This subversion is only altered by a few parameters, ... > by replacing operations that have easily controllable differential ...
    (sci.crypt)