Re: Encyrpt Partitons with out Passphrase

Crypto_at_S.M.S
Date: 08/18/05

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:13:49 +1000

Me wrote:

> BrittonV@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking to set up a demo computer to take to trade shows. This
>> computer will have all the code required to do what I do! Vague
>> enough?
>>
>> I want to limit my damage should this computer be lost or stolen. The
>> best way I can think of to do this is to encrypt a partition or
>> individual folders containing my code/binarys. I want to store the
>> decryption key on some kind of flash media (SD, CF, USB key, etc).
>> When the 'key' is in the card reader/USB slot the software is
>> accessible. When the key is missing everything is worthless.
>

> i'd use: http://www.truecrypt.org/
>
> the passphrase would have to be in your head rather than on an external
> card, but i don't see how that would be a disadvantage.

TrueCrypt, now that's an interesting one.
Who asked for examples of products that use multiple or cascaded
encryption?

This is from the TrueCrypt web site:

    Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5,
    Serpent (256-bit key), Triple DES, and Twofish (256-bit key).
    Supports cascading (e.g., AES-Twofish-Serpent).

TrueCrypt supports cascading. Ain't that cute?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Personal Data and Security
    ... My Windows XP machines use Truecrypt (free Open Source Disk ... All my sensitive files and some programs that use ... There was no need to encrypt and unencrypt separate files. ... and text files in a separate volume/folder, along with Palm Desktop and its ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Personal Data and Security
    ... My Windows XP machines use Truecrypt (free Open Source Disk ... to mount the volume. ... There was no need to encrypt and unencrypt separate files. ... and text files in a separate volume/folder, along with Palm Desktop and its ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)