how secure is windows GUID generation?

From: Andy Fish (ajfish_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 08/17/05

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:49:11 GMT

Hi all,

Anyone know how secure (i.e. random) the GUID generation in windows is? - I
have heard that it's quite computationally expensive to generate one, which
would imply to me that they are fairly random.

TIA

Andy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: how secure is windows GUID generation?
    ... "Andy Fish" writes: ... > Anyone know how secure the GUID generation in windows ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
    ... >>> secure than Home. ... Though this really has nothing to do with security. ... >>> I, on the other hand, was speaking about overall Windows security, not ... I do believe that Microsoft could adjust their prices for the ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Any Way to Run Windows 2000 From Read-Only CD?
    ... Your point regarding infecting the computer during runtime when the disk is ... Now, regarding UNIX versus Windows, I try to have a balanced view. ... administrator can isolate those and secure them. ...
  • Re: migrating from Win2K to XP?
    ... > secure since not too many users are out there and perhaps not too many ... magically install themselves on anyone's computer. ... reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, ... Multibooting with Windows 2000 and Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
    ... OEM Windows XP Home goes for a bit under $100. ... >> secure than Home. ... Though this really has nothing to do with security. ... Microsoft counts on third-party developers to provide more ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)