Re: md5 collisions and speeding tickets

From: Regis (nobody_at_thisaddress.com)
Date: 08/17/05

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:39:34 -0400

On 16 Aug 2005 17:45:37 -0700, tomstdenis@gmail.com wrote:

>If you think it takes 950 km/hour to kill someone ... I suggest you do
>a simple physics lesson.

When did I ever argue any such thing?
All I said was that it wasn't a typical "crash" -- you know -- the
kind you MOST often hear about on the news, where the plane smashes
into the ground from the sky at 950 km/hour, or where the plane
smashes into the side of a mountain.

>The plane was probably going fast when it hit the end.

Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that the plane never "crashed"
into anything. The only reason it split into half is because it went
off the runway and into a ravine where the ground wasn't flat. The
wheels collapsed under the plane's weight when they started bumping
around on rough ground. When the wheel's collapsed, there was nothing
to hold the plane up, so the whole thing just crumbled under its own
weight.

> If you think a plane would split in two and burst into flames
> because it ran off the runway at 15km/hr ... ... then you're odd...

Well, the plane was definitely going a lot closer to 15 km/hour as
opposed to 950 km/hour. This is evident from the fact that everybody
was able to walk away from the wreck. It never "burst into flames".
It did catch fire, yes, but it was a slow burn and there was never any
fireball or explosion, even though the plane still had all its
remaining fuel onboard.

And yes, a plane could very easily split into two even at 15 km/hour
under certain conditions, such as when one of its landing gears
buckle, causing the body of the plane to suddenly come into contact
with the ground from 30 feet up. It's all simple physics. The plane
weights a LOT, and when something that heavy experiences an impact,
the force of that impact will be directly proportional to its mass.

You might argue what constitutes a "plane crash", and that's fine.
But in my mind, when all 309 people aboard the plane walk away with
barely a few minor injuries, then that is NOT a "plane crash".
A plane crash is what happened in Greece last Sunday, where all 121
people onboard were killed.
A plane crash is what happened in Venezuela two days ago, where all
160 people onboard were killed.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: md5 collisions and speeding tickets
    ... >>Is there a standard for plane crashes that I don't know of? ... > didn't come face to face with the earth at 950 km/hour. ... If you think it takes 950 km/hour to kill someone ... ... Plane moving 100 km/hr suddenly stops. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: md5 collisions and speeding tickets
    ... All I meant was that it wasn't a "crash" in the sense that the plane ... didn't come face to face with the earth at 950 km/hour. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: BREAKING NEWS! " EASTERN EUROPEAN SECRET SERVICES CAUSED SMOLENSK PLANE CRASH, REPORTS POLSKAWEB
    ... ta strona nie ma nic wspolnego ze Szkocja;http://www.theflucase.com/  ... of 60 agents of the WSI, and he mentioned Polish Prime Minister Donald ... were killed in the plane crash in an incident that shares many ...
    (soc.culture.polish)
  • Re: (NBC) Bush Voters: Do Ya Get It Now?
    ... What exactly is your theory/your take on the Pentagon and the plane ... That there was no plane crash? ... Really, if I were to travel down Conspiracy Avenue on this one, I could more ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
  • San Diego Crashes
    ... Two missing after plane crash near Oceanside coast ... survivors had been suspen ... ...
    (rec.aviation.piloting)