Re: message digest of large files

From: Kristian Gjøsteen (kristiag+news_at_item.ntnu.no)
Date: 08/17/05

Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:00:35 +0000 (UTC)

James Whitwell <jams@momento.com.au> wrote:
>We're trying to use message digests as a way to uniquely identify large
>binary files (around 50-60MB). Is there a limit to the size of the file
>that we feed through, say SHA1?

Yes, there is a limit, but I believe it is 2^64 bits or something
like that, so there is no need to worry. You should check the
relevant standard (FIPS 180-1).

--
Kristian Gjøsteen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: message digest of large files
    ... James Whitwell wrote: ... > We're trying to use message digests as a way to uniquely identify large ... say SHA1? ... --Mike Amling ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: message digest of large files
    ... Regis wrote: ... >>We're trying to use message digests as a way to uniquely identify large ... >>that we feed through, say SHA1? ... Ditto for SHA-256. ...
    (sci.crypt)