Re: md5 collisions and speeding tickets

contini_at_matmail.com
Date: 08/12/05

Date: 11 Aug 2005 20:11:08 -0700

David Wagner wrote:
> >A NSW, Australian court calls into question the authenticity of every
> >speed issued in the state. [...]
> >Each speed camera photo has an MD5 algorithm printed at the top that is
> >supposed to establish authenticity, but [...] The defense argued that [...]
> >flaws in MD5 that would allow the speed displayed in the camera
> >photograph to be manipulated without changing the 128-bit sequence that
> >is supposed to act as an electronic seal to establish that no tampering
> >has occurred.
> >The case could call into question the validity of fifteen years worth
> >of state photo tickets [...]
>
> Am I the only one who finds this outcome bordering on the absurd?
> Does anyone really believe that someone has mounted such an attack
> to frame people into receiving bogus speeding tickets?

I'm certainly very skeptical, but the speeding cameras in Australia
have come into question for other defects as well. This is just one
more reason to doubt them. Sometimes it is the number of doubts that
make a difference.

> Without knowing anything more than what is printed in the news article,
> it's hard for me to shake off the impression that this sounds more like
> an attack on the court system than an attack on MD5.

But certainly we do not want the cryptographic function to be
an excuse for an attack on the court system (actually I think it
is more of an attack on the use of cameras to monitor people than
an attack on the court system)!

Scott

Relevant Pages

  • AND AGAIN PAKIS AND ARABS TRIED TO KILL INNOCENT CIVILIAN IN UK!
    ... As many as 18 suicide bombers plotted to commit a murderous terror ... attack "on an almost unprecedented scale" by blowing themselves up on ... trans-Atlantic airliners, a court heard. ...
    (soc.culture.israel)
  • Nice little tale of everyday folk in olde England (Acieeeeed)
    ... A Facebook user was disfigured in a revenge-fuelled acid attack over his ... Mr Akram was left burned and bleeding from his nose and eyes and with flesh ... It was she who helped to lay a 'deadly trap', said Mr Markham, luring him to ... him during the 'pre-meditated and murderous assault', the court heard. ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • You wont find Chris X talking about this
    ... Hughes for nine years and Stephens for eight years and six months. ... The brutal attack was caught on CCTV cameras outside Mr Chen's shop, ... The court heard that Mr Chen, a Chinese immigrant, was left dying in the ... He said Mr Chen had tried to get up, but Sankey stamped on his head. ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • Re: Sobering History
    ... with President Bush by making the Lincoln/FDR comments you make. ... pack the Supreme Court with his cronies so that he could have his way. ... And that's not an attack? ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: To Abu Azmi
    ... Taking cognisance of Maharashtra Navnirman Sena's (MNS) ... a local court has issued notices against party chief Raj ... attack on Azmi for taking oath in Hindi in the Maharashtra Assembly ...
    (soc.culture.indian.marathi)