Re: Rijndael: IV Required for Decryption?

From: MikeP (mprocopio_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/11/05

    Date: 11 Aug 2005 01:41:53 -0700

    Interesting... Upon closer inspection of the code, I think (not
    positive) that the IV is in fact being stored as the first block in the
    encrypted data segment... which would explain why the decryption
    routine skips the first block. I think that storing the IV in the
    beginning of the sequence would cause the algorithm to not match test
    vectors, if this is not a standard practice. Author states that
    algorithm conforms to test vectors.

    Still, we're getting side tracked! I can figure out what the algorithm
    is doing. The main question is, fundamentally, is the IV used for
    decryption? Where and when does this occur?

    • Re: Rijndael: IV Required for Decryption?
      ... > positive) that the IV is in fact being stored as the first block in the ... which would explain why the decryption ... > algorithm conforms to test vectors. ... Yes, the IV is being used for decryption - during the loop, in CBC ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Unique Key vs. Initialization Vector ?
      ... > algorithm and it will take some time. ... function of the plaintext (less the first block). ... > authentication from the scheme. ... Wouldn't each plaintext need a different such shared secret? ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Rijndael: IV Required for Decryption?
      ... >positive) that the IV is in fact being stored as the first block in the ... >algorithm conforms to test vectors. ... Greg Rose ...
      (sci.crypt)