Re: Should be in crypto for John E. Hadstate

From: Regis (nobody_at_thisaddress.com)
Date: 08/09/05

    Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 10:18:54 -0400

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 07:23:23 -0400, "John E. Hadstate"
    <jh113355@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >The most charitable thing I can say is that for you to make
    >such sweeping pronouncements when you don't have a clue
    >about system constraints or operational constraints makes
    >you look very silly.

    Yeah...
    And while we're on the topic of looking silly...

    It's called on-the-fly encryption.
    If your database contains such super-duper-mega-important top secret
    information, then your data would be encrypted immediately upon entry
    of each new record. Therefore, your whole whining nonsensical line of
    reasoning about multiple encryption being "too slow" becomes moot.
    Instead of your backup taking 4 hours due to encryption, it would take
    no more than 3 to 5 minutes to complete. Three minutes if you're
    writing a full 700 MB database to a CD-R disc, or 5 minutes if you're
    writing a full 4.3 GB database to a DVD±R disc.

    To have a database full of top secret information sitting there in
    plaintext format is beyond silly -- it's outright retarded.

    • Re: Newbie - Is this Reasonable?
      ... because this hash is stored in the database. ... So you use PKCS5v2 to generate a key hash from a salt and the user's passphrase, then store the salt and the hash in a database. ... are even more critical in database applications because the payoff from tampering with selected fields may be much higher, fields tend to be fixed-length so it's easier to tamper with them in a meaningful way, and databases lend themselves to off-line analysis, so the attacker can marshall more resources and take more time to attack your system. ... You're using a stream cipher for encryption. ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • 2005-Problem restoring database with encrypted columns to diff ser
      ... I need to start encrypting several fields in a database and have been doing ... OPEN MASTER KEY DECRYPTION BY PASSWORD = 'testAppleA3'; ... ALTER MASTER KEY ADD ENCRYPTION BY SERVICE MASTER KEY; ... encryption by certificate test; ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Re: Protecting an Access Database
      ... because I want to make my database more secure. ... I see...So I guess that not even encryption (which I have ... I think Microsoft could have created a built-in encryption function within ...
      (microsoft.public.access.security)
    • Re: FlatFile Encryption using FILESTREAM
      ... If a folder on a domain contains confidential flat files, ... files can be added to a database filegroup and read using FILESTREAM. ... SQL Server ensures data-level consistency between the relational data in the ... "Note that this encryption is made by default when you create ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
    • Re: How to prevent importing tables
      ... why in-built encryption doesn't even matter if they otherwise have ... off-topic but is all to do with security and "extraction". ... > sufficient permission to open the database, ... then they don't even need to decrypt it! ...
      (microsoft.public.access.security)