Re: Algorithms to generate permutations

From: Ben Livengood (ben.livengood_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/05/05

    Date: 5 Aug 2005 00:21:26 -0700

    > First, for the US government to demand
    > release of (worldwide) rights they do not
    > grant or control is just nuts.

    Since the U.S. government (and/or lobbyists) is trying very hard to get
    software patents recognized in all countries, it makes sense to require
    that worldwide rights be given up. After all, if a European patent had
    been issued and the EU ends up voting for software patents, suddenly
    the U.S. must respect that patent on a previously unpatented algorithm.
    Requiring submissions to give up all patent rights worldwide avoids
    that problem.

    Likewise, requiring upfront relinquishment of property rights ensures
    that no submarine patents will come around to hurt the industry after
    the standard is accepted.

    • Re: Algorithms to generate permutations
      ... >> I claim that my government should not insist ... > It might have sought to buy out any pre-existing rights for the winner ... many different countries offer patents ... designs, and a thorough, structured and public ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Algorithms to generate permutations
      ... >> I claim that my government should not insist ... > It might have sought to buy out any pre-existing rights for the winner ... many different countries offer patents ... designs, and a thorough, structured and public ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: What it takes to be a revolutionary thinker
      ... >exclusive rights to private entities for the research those private ... We can take your attitude that "it belongs to the public" in the most ... literal fashion and just publish the whole shebang, no patents, no ... patenn must belong to the government alone (as representing the ...
      (sci.physics)
    • Re: What it takes to be a revolutionary thinker
      ... >exclusive rights to private entities for the research those private ... We can take your attitude that "it belongs to the public" in the most ... literal fashion and just publish the whole shebang, no patents, no ... patenn must belong to the government alone (as representing the ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • Re: What it takes to be a revolutionary thinker
      ... >exclusive rights to private entities for the research those private ... We can take your attitude that "it belongs to the public" in the most ... literal fashion and just publish the whole shebang, no patents, no ... patenn must belong to the government alone (as representing the ...
      (sci.physics.particle)