Re: Should be in crypto for John E. Hadstate Re: just stupid?

Crypto_at_S.M.S
Date: 08/04/05

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:49:04 +1000

Tom St Denis wrote:

> Terry Ritter wrote:
>
>>>The end result of a multiple encryption of cipher A, B, and C is the cipher
>>>ABC, a single cipher that, in effect, is now the "single point of failure."
>>
>>Obviously not: The cipher composed of ciphers
>>A, B, and C still has ciphers B and C active
>>when cipher A fails. That is the redundancy
>>which specifically addresses the "single point
>>of failure" problem. So if A has been broken
>>in secret, I still win.
>

> More nonsense. Who says this magical new attack only applies to A?
>
> Add fire element!!!! make it hot!!!!
>
> This isn't alchemy!
>
> Tom

And who says it doesn't. Nobody knows for sure.
This uncertainty is one of the many reasons for using multi crypto.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VMPC isnt free
    ... Yah, tom the genius. ... for the sole fact they are not interested in academia. ... Admitedly I designed quite a few ciphers but I never claimed they were ... design over and over. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: A new public key algorithm based on avalanche properties
    ... > demanding of the evidence or arguments I produce in favour of where I ... I've gotten some good responses here, but Tom didn't like it. ... "designing ciphers by a hobbyist is a really bad ... Secure encryption should be like an off-the-shelf electronic part. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: newbie: please help...just your opinion
    ... for making a crypto newbie grow up a bit...you are very ... Don't worry Tom, you will always be the best... ... each of my ciphers was not just a "I wrote ... If you want to learn cryptanalysis don't invent ciphers. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Shut up? [was re: <snip>]
    ... Tom St Denis wrote: ... An engineer. ... Hence, multiple ciphers. ... And there are lots of people who want to deal with CryptoSMS, ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Algorithms to generate permutations
    ... You asked for a "magic bullet" that breaks many ciphers. ... Tom answered by telling you differential cryptanalysis has broken ... Greg tried helping you. ...
    (sci.crypt)