Re: Barcode Email

From: Ari Silversteinn (abcarisilverstein_at_yahoo.comxyz)
Date: 08/02/05

Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:21:52 -0400

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:18:24 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:

>> Horribly flawed would be proportional to the adversary, this is not
>> designed for NSA quality attacks.
>
> It's not even good enough to protect credit card info. Would you access
> an e-commerce site with a browser that does less than 128-bit encryption?

This is not credit card quality info either.

>>> Sweet! Decryption without any secrets! An encryption algorithm where
>>> the ciphertext is self-decrypting -- gee, I'm speechless. Why do I get
>>> the impression someone here is missing the whole point of encryption?
>>
>> The point is that there is a market for low level "encryption" that is
>> easily understood by the general public who sees barcodes every day of
>> their lives. They really don't understand how a barcode is made or read,
>> necessarily, but they trust them. Remember, we are looking at a business
>> concept, saleability is key. I could care less if Bruce Sheiner likes the
>> concept or not. lol
>
> Bar codes aren't a security system at all, they're just a way to make
> information on containers easy for scanners to read. This is totally
> unnecessary for email, since the information is already in the computer.

I'm aware, read the thread, you came in late.

--
Drop the alphabet for email

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Barcode Email
    ... >> designed for NSA quality attacks. ... > It's not even good enough to protect credit card info. ... This is not credit card quality info either. ... >> easily understood by the general public who sees barcodes every day of ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Form posting to other and sending email
    ... that is the way it usually is but this is a special secure provider. ... > forwards an email with the booking info and prompts to log in and retrieve ... > the credit card info. ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
  • Re: [PHP] keeping credit card info in session
    ... for users to be able to fill out a form which also has some credit card ... credit card info to the last page, I'm storing all the info in my session. ... Now, I did go and bought an SSL certificate, so the booking section of the ... I'm just wondering if this is secure enough. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: The Paucity of Watkins-Glen Articles and Materials is eased up a bit
    ... The one that contained your credit card info and name and address. ... The one that has made you an ex ebayer. ... I AWLso have several ID's just waiting for bidding on hmmmm I dont know.. ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: Scammer Identification Techniques
    ... For those folks who have sold stuff through Mr. Pinball, ... Last week I had someone contact me asking about a scammer, ... They offer to pay by credit card and then ... The crooks that steal the actual credit card info don't use them. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)