Re: *secure* (non-OTP) pencil and paper systems ?

From: Mike Amling (nospam_at_nospam.com)
Date: 08/01/05

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:53:54 GMT

vedaal wrote:
> are there any (non-OTP) pencil-and-paper systems that are 'secure',

   You could try VMPC shrunken down to a deck or two of playing cards.

> or is a computer generated randomness of some sort,
> required to prevent known plaintext attacks?

   You do need randomness for the key, but it doesn't have to be
computer generated. Key management is really a separate issue from
choice of cipher.

--Mike Amling

Relevant Pages

  • Re: random seed implications on genetics
    ... too wedded to the concept of some sort of computer generated ... randomness or formula driven randomness as an analogy of randomness in ... there has been no randomness observed in nature besides that which is ... non-deterministic deity for which there is no proof. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Richard Dawkins - the God Delusion - Chapter 1.1 - A Deeply
    ... given lump of radioactive stuff will radiate at a steady level, ... You think that non randomness does not need explanation, ... a sort of allegory. ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Randomness as a computational resource
    ... >Does that mean one able to generate some sort of randomness ... n is composite. ... that randomness really helps in these sorts ... and a lot of people believe that P does equal BPP). ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: random seed implications on genetics
    ... quantum mechanics, etc., are uncertain, not random, randomness would ... beforehand exist by mutation alone? ... with the evolutionary process whereby 'random' mutations are played ... Not if there is no need for any sort of random seed. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • RE: Cant sort by date
    ... could time be causing the 'randomness'? ... "Laurel" wrote: ... > How can I sort a spreadsheet by a column full of dates? ... > "date" when I sort by that column, the result seems to be random. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.newusers)