Re: Should be in crypto for John E. Hadstate Re: just stupid?

From: Joe Peschel (jpeschel_at_no.spam.org)
Date: 07/19/05

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:33:58 -0000

Crypto@S.M.S wrote in news:11doopt1aktu103@news.supernews.com:

> Joe Peschel wrote:
>>>>

>> He's talking about the theoretical or academic break that he had been
>> talk about since his initial reply. As for the laptop -- he's
>> estimating how long the attack should take.
>
> As stated before, theoretical breaks are great for academics,
> but police and law breakers live in the real world.

As I've pointed out before, academic breaks often become real breaks.

> A good
> discussion of the difference between "theoretical" and "practical"
> breaks can be found at
>
> http://www.ciphersbyritter.com/NEWS3/BREAK.HTM
>
> Here's an important little snip from there, to get you started:
>
> I would also like to propose the terms theoretical break (like
> reducing a workload from 128 bits bruteforce to 110 bits
> bruteforce) and practical break (obtaining any information on key
> or message in real life).
>
> The only thing of any consequence, when discussing real world
> situations like "crypto for criminals", is a practical break (i.e. one
> that allows law enforcement to obtain the keys or messages exchanged
> by offenders).

Academic breaks often become real breaks.

>> You've quoted Joe. Don't pretend now that you don't understand what
>> he was saying.
>>

> I understand completely. I just don't agree with him.
> And in my disagreement, I have asked for evidence of his
> statements, in the form of cracked messages. After all,
> he claims he can crack them in an hour, so let's see it.

Again, Joe never claimed one way or another whether he could crack the
posted messages.

>>>Please stop changing your position.
>>

>> I haven't changed my position.
>>

>>>Either you can break CryptoSMS
>>>or you can't Talking about it doesn't count.
>>

>> Show me where I've said that I could break, or said I was even trying
>> to break your program.
>>
>> > And switching horses
>>
>>>in midstream doesn't make you look too clever either.
>>

>> I haven't switched horses. I haven't claimed I could or couldn't
>> break your program.

> Or rather, you have mis-parrotted his
> claims, because you said he didn't mention laptops, when in fact,
> he did.

Now, you've switched horses. First, you claim I said I could break your
program. Now, you try to claim, instead, that I'm just imitating Joe's
claims. It's been only a few minutes. Care to change your mind again? :-)

In any case, I haven't imitated Joe's claims. The business about the laptop
was his hypothetical approximation.

http://www.impeach-bush-now.org
Joe Peschel
D.O.E. SysWorks