Re: Should be in crypto for John E. Hadstate Re: just stupid?

From: Joe Peschel (jpeschel_at_no.spam.org)
Date: 07/19/05

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:12:52 -0000

Crypto@S.M.S wrote in news:11dolib5auvkm5f@news.supernews.com:

> Joe Peschel wrote:
>>

>> Even Ritter admits that adding a second cipher could weaken the first
>> cipher.
>>

> No he doesn't.

Yes, he does but he thinks it unlikely.

> http://www.ciphersbyritter.com/NEWS6/KNOWNPLN.HTM

But see:

http://www.ciphersbyritter.com/GLOSSARY.HTM#MultipleEncryption

You certainly but a lot of faith in Ritter. Even he describes himself an
engineer, not a cryptologist.

>>>Which begins with a quote from Shannon
>>>
>>> I have long proposed using a multiciphering "stack" of ciphers,
>>> instead of just one which could be weak beyond our knowledge. I
>>> have long proposed using multiple ciphers instead of just one, to
>>> end any "break" which might exist.
>>>

>> That's not a quote from Shannon. It's quote from Ritter.

> Are you sure? Have you looked closely at pages 656-715 of the 1949
> Bell System Technical Journal?

Yes, I'm sure. I've looked at the paper. You obviously have not.

http://www.impeach-bush-now.org
Joe Peschel
D.O.E. SysWorks
http://members.aol.com/jpeschel/index.htm

  • Re: blutige Finger?
    ... Schlo der Retter der Quote ist da! ... der strahlende Ritter auf dem weissen Gaul. ...
    (de.talk.misc)