Re: Compression before encryption: cryptlib or zlib?

From: Joseph Ashwood (ashwood_at_msn.com)
Date: 07/19/05

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:40:34 GMT

"Peter Gutmann" <pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote in message
news:3k1bvoFs5pq5U1@individual.net...
> There shouldn't be any difference, since cryptlib implements the
> compression
> in RFC 2440 and RFC 3270, both of which specify the zlib format.

Ok, based on that I will revise my statement, I'd stick with cryptlib for
the compilation convenience.

> The cryptlib interface is rather simpler than the zlib one (push data into
> an
> envelope, pop out the result), particularly for non-C languages. Since
> the
> compression result is identical, it probably makes more sense to use the
> higher-level interface provided by cryptlib.

This just makes it even easier to decide. Thanks, I was treating them as
generic compression algorithms A and B, and deciding between them.
                    Joe

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Compression before encryption: cryptlib or zlib?
    ... >> cryptlib for the crypto, would you use the cryptlib compression features ... >involved in using zlib vs cryptlib compression. ... The cryptlib interface is rather simpler than the zlib one (push data into an ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Compression before encryption: cryptlib or zlib?
    ... > cryptlib for the crypto, would you use the cryptlib compression features ... lifetime of the program. ... involved in using zlib vs cryptlib compression. ... Assuming familiarity with the necessary interfaces, and ease of compilation ...
    (sci.crypt)