Re: AES MAC security question

From: Rein Anders Apeland (apeland_at_mivu.no)
Date: 07/03/05

Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:24:21 +0200

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 23:55 +0000, Colin Andrew Percival wrote:
> Kristian Gj?steen <kristiag+news@item.ntnu.no> wrote:
> > If the adversary has say 3600 attempts per hour, an adversary that
> > keeps at it for a year has probability roughly 0.007 of winning.
> > I could live with that.
>
> As long as each attempt only applies to a single car, yes. If someone
> can drive into a large parking lot and start broadcasting "unlock
> yourself and flash your lights" (encrypted with a series of keys) to a
> large number of cars, it might become more problematic.
>
> Colin Percival

The attacker then needs to get at least one transmitter ID and
the associated transmitter's key right at the same time. I believe
that would reduce the problem, right?

However, with each ID-hit, you run the risk of making some car
reject that fob. That could be a problem.

--
Mvh / Regards
Rein Anders Apeland

Relevant Pages

  • Re: TR - With the Grandkids - Day 1 of 7
    ... And on my last trip, when I left Birmingham, I placed my shoes and belt in one bin, my laptop in another, and my phone and iPad in a third. ... It was 11:00 when our bags ... A few things you can do to avoid all the schlepping is to go get the car while others wait on bags, ... I also like these keys better than the newer Nissan and BMW keys where you have to insert the plastic fob into a slot then press a START button. ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)
  • Re: Women Busted for DUI For Pushing Car
    ... >> and, since you're the only one there, you have the keys. ... I'm still in the car with the keys. ... If the law wants to catch someone for drunk driving, ...
    (rec.autos.driving)
  • Re: O.T. -- MM
    ... Only sometimes the cast hits other keys and makes strange ... lost my keys (I shouldn't have brought my car keys) and my other alarm ... I'm not in pain much. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Transportation Re: High Rise Living
    ... and closed my keys inside I could just open the door and pop the trunk. ... Press master button on driver's door, All doors lock. ... Note that it's too warm to wear the jacket, throw it in car. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • *DeaR. HOuWsE*
    ... I cannot begin to tell you HOWE far Aeriel ... 'Freak out' and have an 'Anxiety Meltdown', I'd throw the keys, ... She was to the point of actually LYING DOWN on the grass in front of ... Each time a car went by, ...
    (rec.pets.dogs.behavior)