Re: AES MAC security question

From: David Taylor (davidt-news_at_yadt.co.uk)
Date: 07/03/05

Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 00:10:08 +0000 (UTC)

Rein Anders Apeland <apeland@mivu.no> wrote on Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:58:48 +0200:
> [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: ISO-8859-1, 49 lines --]
>
> On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 22:19 +0000, Andrew Swallow wrote:
>> Kristian Gj?steen wrote:

>> > Who on earth would allow his car to process commands at a rate
>> > of 5 megabit?
>> >
>> That depends on what sort of receiver you are using.
>>
>> Andrew Swallow
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Some more details on my system:
>
> - The data rate for the system is 10 kbaud.
> - Each and every transmitter has its unique key.
> - The receiver would reject all used counter values, which means that
> if transmitter X transmits a packet with counter value 4, the receiver
> will afterwards reject all packets with counter value less than 5.

I'm not really sure this is a threat you're concerned about, but
rather than stealing the car, someone could prevent you accessing
it easily.

Just monitor the transmitted packet, and send a bunch of (say 1000)
invalid commands with a steadily increasing counter and the same
transmitter id.

Then when the owner turns up with their keyfob, they have to press
their keyfob 1001 times before it works again.

--
David Taylor

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remote trigger device for D300s --- Uh-oh - how about this amusing little
    ... YongNuo camera wireless remote control shutter release YN-128 will use ... It's supports the multistage frequency trim combination, the transmitter ... and the receiver establishes separately has four digit switch codes, ... friendly, not only has the independent power supply switch, but also has ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Remote trigger device for D300s --- Uh-oh - how about this amusing little
    ... YongNuo camera wireless remote control shutter release YN-128 will use ... It's supports the multistage frequency trim combination, the transmitter ... and the receiver establishes separately has four digit switch codes, ... friendly, not only has the independent power supply switch, but also has ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Bag Frequency Coordination Help......
    ... worth reading several times if you are doing a bag setup. ... UCR210 receiver in this test. ... frequency separation in MHz, then dB of desensing, then resulting ... We ran the same tests with reduced transmitter power (30 mW ...
    (rec.arts.movies.production.sound)
  • Re: Remote trigger device for D300s --- Uh-oh - how about this amusing little
    ... YongNuo camera wireless remote control shutter release YN-128 will use ... It's supports the multistage frequency trim combination, the transmitter ... and the receiver establishes separately has four digit switch codes, ... friendly, not only has the independent power supply switch, but also has ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Using garage door remotes as a voting system?
    ... >There's a keychain transmitter at http://www.automicro.com.tw/ that is ... You need to do some statistics to work out the optimum timings based on packet length, receiver ... I would suggest you look for a keyfob that uses the Microchip RFPic 12F parts, ... Typical data rates for a cheap hardware keyfob would be 1200 baud. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)