Re: lost dsa gnupg private key :(

From: rot (man_at_theinternet.co.nz)
Date: 05/25/05

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 04:31:37 +0000 (UTC)

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in
news:7x3bscyma6.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com:

> rot <man@theinternet.co.nz> writes:
>> Hi, I have a number of important files encrypted with my gnupg key.
>> unfortunatly I've lost my private key. I need some advice on how to
>> recover my files (I still have my public key & my passphrase).
>
> Sorry, it's gone.
>
>> However there must be some way to recover the data,
>
> No, there is no known way. If there was, that would be a total
> security failure of gnupg and there would be an immediate effort to
> fix it. Your best bet is to figure out what you did with your private
> key file, and retrieve it. If you merely deleted the file, it may be
> recoverable.
>
>> I'm not expert on encryption but I'm assuming all (current)
>> encryption is crackable.
>
> No, as far as any of us here can tell, properly done encryption (which
> includes gpg) is uncrackable. It's like trying to unscramble an egg.

*Skweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel !!*

Your words don't trouble me now, as I found a backup I made long ago :)

Thanks for your quick response anyway ;)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RSA breaking vs. factoring
    ... affects the two possible usages of RSA both for encryption (first public, ... then private key) and for signing ... are identical to encryption, in reverse order. ... Digital signature generation takes an input message (which may be quite ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: CryptAPI(encryption/decryption)
    ... It seems like you're missing the Base64 decode step when trying to decrypt ... I misspelled the Private Key as Primary Key. ... Is there any variation in the encryption format in openssl compared to ... "Dylan DSilva " wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
  • Re: RSACryptoServiceProvider decrypt with public key
    ... private key which my programs could decipher using a public key I've ... But since private key encryption and public key decryption isn't ... > If Alice gives Bob her public key, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: CryptAPI(encryption/decryption)
    ... The openssl encrypted data format is in bigendian ... Is there any way I can import the PEM formated private key to the MS CSP ... I'm decoding the base64 encoded data before trying to decrypt. ... Is there any variation in the encryption format in openssl compared ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
  • RE: PGP scripting...
    ... cryptosystems, ... In these systems divulging your private key compromises the public ... Here is a quick over view of the public key encryption routines (the ...
    (SecProg)