Re: Hyper-Threading Considered Harmful

From: David Wagner (daw_at_taverner.cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: 05/17/05

    Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 04:27:57 +0000 (UTC)

    Tom Linden wrote:
    >So do you believe the VMS is reasonably secure only due to its relative
    >obscurity, or do you think the security module is adequately robust?

    I'm afraid I don't understand what your question has to do with the post
    you were responding to, but since you asked: I don't know enough about
    VMS to have any opinion on it.

    In case it was unclear, I wasn't recommending security through obscurity.
    I was talking about how to choose among multiple countermeasures, all of
    which successfully stop the attack, but at different costs and with different
    requirements on the rest of the system.

    • Re: The possibility of vms opening up?
      ... Are you indicating that vms is security by obscurity? ... before you claim open source is to be blamed, ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: What is the draw of VMS?
      ... have never heard of VMS. ... While security through obscurity is frowned on in security circles, it certainly helps. ... everybody privileged user accounts, and a virus is sure possible. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: What is the draw of VMS?
      ... have never heard of VMS. ... While security through obscurity is frowned on in security circles, ... everybody privileged user accounts, and a virus is sure possible. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Mac OS X no longer immune to viruses!
      ... VMS might be better coded and might ... security bugs hidden in the millions of lines of code of VMS. ... VMS does notrely on security by obscurity. ... But you forget that OS X for all practical purposes is Unix. ...
      (comp.os.vms)