Re: Public disclosure of discovered vulnerabilities

From: D. J. Bernstein (djb_at_cr.yp.to)
Date: 05/15/05

    Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:48:49 +0000 (UTC)

    Nicol So wrote:
    > Please stop mischaracterizing my position as "shooting the messenger".

    You said that ``public announcement of a vulnerability'' would
    ``increase the risk'' to users. That's shooting the messenger.

    Anyway, the terminology doesn't matter. What matters is that you're
    ignoring the ultimate source of harm, namely the designers and
    implementors who created the security problem in the first place.

    ---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
    Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago

    • Re: Catholic Cardinale truthfully calls Abortion Murder!
      ... Indeed not, but Peter Ashby, in the grandparent of this post, claimed ... could all agree on neutral terminology which doesn't appear to favour ... No more so than the use of "embryo" to imply that the unborn are less ... I agree that the terminology doesn't matter (other than for rhetorical ...
      (uk.religion.christian)
    • Re: OT: What is wrong with America?
      ... anger by shooting someone? ... In earlier, more tyrannical societies, you basically did what the kings ... the results (no matter how harsh) were simple ... For some reason this one wasn't processed ...
      (rec.models.rockets)
    • Re: Shoot a nail in the middle of a moving 2" X 4" !
      ... We are talking, for now, about the matter, in only one dimension! ... You are shooting at a real object, ... not see the fish to be. ... I think that the same type of correction needs ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • xp issues.
      ... but no matter what I do, I cannot remove the worm. ... >install critical updates from Windows Update site. ... no matter what my security setting is at. ... >>messenger, aim, or yahoo messenger. ...
    • Re: Shoot a nail in the middle of a moving 2" X 4" !
      ... We are talking, for now, about the matter, in only one dimension! ... You are shooting at a real object, ... to shoot in the middle and not "shoot straight" (that is ... reciprocally from two IRFs, the *Principle of reciprocity* ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)